Go to http://www.theartoftheblog.com for my new site.

9/29/2003

Media Slant in Iraqi Coverage

Media Slant in Iraqi Coverage

John Leo: Media reporting from Iraq is one-sided and flawed


The Internet campaign is another example of the new media going around the old media, in this case to counter stories by quagmire-oriented reporters. Perhaps goaded by Internet coverage, USA Today became the first mainstream outlet (as far as I can see) to highlight problems in current Iraq coverage. A strong article last week by Peter Johnson quoted this from MSNBC's Bob Arnot in Iraq: 'I contrast some of the infectious enthusiasm I see here with what I see on TV and I say, 'Oh, my God, am I in the same country?'' Time magazine's Brian Bennett added: 'What gets in the headlines is the American soldier getting shot, not the American soldiers rebuilding a school or digging a well.'