Go to http://www.theartoftheblog.com for my new site.

5/20/2003

Thomas on Diversity

Thomas on Diversity

AP Wire | 05/20/2003 | Justice Thomas Defends Views on Diversity

"I have my own opinions and my ideas. They're mine," he said. "I won't tell you you must believe certain things because of your skin color or because you're bad for not agreeing with me. That's all I can see, is that people are upset because I disagree with them."

Thomas was quizzed by the students about his views on affirmative action; about his vote in Bush v. Gore, which ended candidate Al Gore's chances of winning the presidency; and about replacing civil rights trailblazer Thurgood Marshall as the second black justice on the court.

A note about "ending Al Gore's chances of winning" . . . the voters took care of that. The Supreme Court merely told the Florida Supremem Court that the law would apply to everyone equally. The SC told them that they could not selectively recount votes in only those places where they thought they could garner more votes. Besides, in all (to my knowledge) the ways of counting the votes that they tried, Algore never came out on top. NEVER.

--30--